Sunday, November 23, 2008

Sharing the book love

I have a 10 year old cousin that loves to read about as much as I did when I was her age. How much is that? A lot! My birthday gift to her the last few years have been books that I loved when I was younger.

I started with The Secret Garden and I didn't hear much about what she thought after she finished. I'm thinking she didn't love it. Last year it was the Little House on the Prairie books and those were a big hit. She did some research on her own and found another book that wasn't included with the original series and had her mom order it from the library. She was also inspired enough by the detailed accounts of life on the frontier that she insisted on making lemonade and biscuits the way Ma Ingalls must have. It was such a thrill to see her as excited about half pint as I was.

This year it's going to be the three books in the Little Women collection. I can't wait to see if she falls in love with feisty Jo and her sisters.

I look forward to her being old enough to appreciate Jane Austen, the Bronte's and oh so many others. I also hope that I'm blessed with a little reader of my own some day soon.

2 comments:

Fat Chick said...

OMG, I LOVE Little Women. You know, I have only read Little Women, not the other two, because I can't find really old copies. I read LW for the first time several years ago from a copy dated 1918, and it was totally falling apart (I keep it tied together with a ribbon). It so added to the joy of the book. I am still looking for older copies of the other two, and now, whenever I can find a classic in a really old print, I buy it. It really adds to the fun. What a great cousin!

Jo said...

And...guess why I am called Jo??

when I was a little order, I really loved reading Gone with the Wind...try it! And Jane Austen is my absolute favorite, but I don't think I really appreciated her until my 20s...

have fun--