Thursday, July 21, 2011

Wrapping up the 30 day non-challenge challenge Day 22 - 30

Day 22 – What is your most beloved childhood memory? What memories are you trying to create (or will you try to create) for your child(ren)?
Family traditions! Pancakes on Sunday mornings, skipping school and work on your birthday, Holiday hoopla, etc


Day 23 – What are your favorite activities to do with your kid(s)?
Mr. O is still new enough that our activities change all the time as he learns new skills. Right now he seems to be interested in animals so we're having lots of fun visiting pet stores and the local farm to feed the sheep and ducks.

Day 24 – What are your favorite activities to do without your kid(s)? (keep it clean!)
To just sit quietly. To do nothing and not have to jump up and stop the kid from falling off furniture, pulling on the light cord, trying to open the front door or letting his cup of milk drip all over the carpet.

Day 25 – What did you want to be when you grew up? Why and/or how did that change over time?
I thought that I was going to be a teacher up until I was just about to start student teaching. I decided that as much as I loved working with kids I liked the idea of having more money better. I tried out the corporate world and even though I was making good money it was soul sucking. I sometimes wish I had stuck with my original dream.


Day 26 – What is/are the best piece(s) of parenting advice you’ve gotten or can give others?
Trust yourself. If you take the time to think through your parenting decisions and make an informed decision then don't let anyone else make you feel like you're doing it wrong.

Day 27 – Which movies or tv shows do you think are the most accurate portrayals of parenthood?
Hmmm, instead I'm going to say that I wish it was more like the Brady Brunch. I really wish I had an Alice.

Day 28 – What size family do you come from, what size family do you want, and why?
I have two siblings and lots of cousins. Unfortunately, my extended family had a falling out and I only interact with a few of those cousins. I always thought that I would have three or four kids but my life didn't work out that way. I'm hoping to have one more child so that O can have a sibling.

Day 29 – What do you think about giving kids an allowance, and what chores do you or would you expect your child(ren) to help out with?
Mr. O will absolutely have chores! Our family is a team and everyone will be pitching in to keep the household running. In addition to keeping his own things neat and tidy he will know how to do all housekeeping tasks by the time he's ready to live on his own.

I hope to use an allowance to teach O about managing money.


Day 30 – What is/are the most memorable questions or reactions you’ve gotten in regards to being a choice mom family?I've been really surprised by how positive everyone has been. I was expecting and prepared for lots of negative comments. I've also been surprised at the lack of questions. I even make leading statements thinking that my family will pounce on the opportunity to ask about the donor or the process and they never take the bait. It's so not like them to mind their own business!

1 comment:

Tiara said...

Day 26...I wish I had received this advice from the start instead of all the other advice...so so true