Friday, June 17, 2011

30 Day Non-Challenge Day 15 - 17

30 day non-challenge Day 15 - 17


Day 15- What was your college experience like? Were you involved in any clubs, groups, etc.?

I had lots of fun in college. Lots of fun. I graduated 10 years late kind of fun. It wasn't all about drinking and partying it was all about getting really involved with my boyfriend and the school's radio station. I made some really amazing friends and the skills I learned running that radio station are the skills I use everyday in my career.

Day 16- How many friends do you have in real life that you talk to regularly? How many friends do you have that are "true blue" and how long have you known them?

I don't connect with my friends as much as I would like these days. I'm still in that new baby bubble and most of them are well past the little kid stage or have no interest in family style fun. Fac.ebook makes it easy to have the appearance of keeping in touch because you can keep up with the big events without having to put much effort into the relationship but it's not really the same thing. I'm starting to make more of an effort to re-connect with my friends by making plans to do grown up things but truthfully I would really much rather be home reading stories or building block towers for Mr. O to knock over.

In the 'true blue' category I have a few wonderful friends.
A is my BFF from the old neighborhood and we've known each other for almost 30 years (yikes!). She knows the real me and even if we don't talk for long periods of time (sometimes a year or two has gone by) we can pick up right where we left off. We are unconditionally there for each other. Love her :)

M is a dear friend, ex-boyfriend, just a friend, ex-boyfriend, just a friend... We met almost 20 years ago and I'll always love him. He knows me very well and we've supported each other through some tough times. Our relationship has changed dramatically now that I'm a Mom and I think we're still working through those changes.

I met P at work a dozen years ago and we just 'get' each other. We crack each other up. Some people find us really annoying to around because we tend to speak our own language.

Day 17- What is your favorite thing about parenthood? Your least favorite?

There are so many amazing things about parenthood. I'm just loving all of it and I'm so grateful that I have the opportunity to be a mom. I love watching O try to figure things out and it's so wonderful when he does something new. He's walking now and he's so excited about wearing shoes. He tells me all about his SHOOOS while I'm putting them on him. He tries to make me laugh by making goofy faces or blowing raspberries on my belly or arm. He climbs up onto my lap for cuddles and kisses and his face lights up every time I walk into his line of sight.

My least favorite are the sleep struggles. It was just so frustrating trying to get him to sleep for the night because after a long day of baby duty I look forward to bedtime so that I can get some me time. I made some changes and put more predictable structure around bedtime and eliminated distractions and it's been better but every once in awhile it still takes too long to get him settled. On those tough days I just keep reminding myself that I wanted this more than anything and that these rough patches are just a phase. We're also at the beginning of tantrums and while right now they are kind of cute I can totally see them overtaking sleep struggles as my least favorite!

No comments: