Tuesday, June 14, 2011

30 Day Non-Challenge Day 11 - 14

30 Day Non-Challenge Day 11
Want to play along?

Day 11 – In what ways does being a SMC impact your experience of parenting?

I would say that being a choice mother means that I approached parenting very deliberately. Becoming a parent wasn't something that just happened by accident. It was something that for me took lots (and lots, and lots, and lots...) of thought, planning and soul searching. I set out to have a child on my own and I went into it knowing that I would be the sole provider for all of my child's many needs. There would be no days off and there wouldn't be another parent that is equally responsible for my son's well being. It's all me all the time. Sometimes that can be pretty overwhelming but even in those tough moments I still don't regret my choice. I'm very aware that I am the only parent and it's really forced me to face my own mortality. I am much more cautious and have made changes that I hope will increase my chances of seeing my son grow up. I take my own health much more seriously and I now wear my seat belt every single time no exceptions. I have already started telling my son his story and how we became a family. I'm providing my extended family with the language I prefer and making sure that they get any discomfort they have with his story out of their systems now before he's old enough to pick up on it. My not too social self is making it a point to reach out and make connections with other families like ours so that he will know others with similar stories.

Day 12- Tell us about the first time you got drunk (as far as you can remember...)
First time? That's a tough one. I drank maybe two or three times before college and I think the buzz I felt was due more to me and my friends being all goofed up on the idea of being drunk than actually being anywhere close to being drunk. I doubt sharing a wine cooler did much damage. College was really where the drunk happened. I don't really remember the first time but I do remember that me and my BFF knew we had arrived at drunk if we couldn't feel our teeth.

Day 13- Tell us about the best job you ever had, and the worst
Hmmm, they might be one and the same!

Day 14- How do you typically dress? How do you like to dress your kid?
I own more pajama pants than actual pants. Most days I am dressed extremely casual and it's not unusual for me to shower in the morning and then put on clean pjs. If I'm actually going to leave the house my usual uniform is jeans and a black shirt of some kind or v-neck sweater.
Mr. O is much more stylish than his Mama. I don't like shirts with lots of cartoony goofy things on them or too generic BOYish. My favorite things of his are a Mr. Potato Head shirt, ET t-shirt all of his I love Mommy shirts and shirts with fake ties on them. He mostly wears cotton pants because they are easy to move around in but I do love how he look in his overalls. He also has lots of clothes with monkeys on them because who doesn't love monkeys!?

No comments: